I’m sure many of you out there loves to eat all kinds of dumplings. My family for sure loves them that is why I have collected a variety of cookbooks with dumpling recipes in them.
At my home we eat dumplings at least once a week. Either steam, sautéed or deep fried, they are our favorite appetizer dipped in either mayonnaise, sweet and spicy ketchup or garlic soy sauce. I prefer homemade instead of bought dumplings though because I get to eliminate unwanted ingredients such as MSG and some pork fats that are always if not often added to dumplings, that includes even the vegetable dumplings. Last week I made some special fried seafood dumplings which I got from a cookbook called Thai Way of Life (The Dusit Cookbook )
I say special because the taste is no ordinary dumpling. It is actually hands down the tastiest seafood dumplings or rolls I have ever had.
Here are the Ingredients : ( makes 16 pcs )
- 16 Large Prawns
- 10 grams garlic cloves
- 10 grams fresh coriander roots
- 20ml Soy sauce
- 20ml Oyster sauce
- 10 grams Sugar
- White pepper to taste
- 16 pcs Wonton Wrappers or 32 pcs spring roll sheets
- 15 grams Egg noodles
- flour paste : mix equal amounts of flour and water
1. Prepare the prawns: Clean and wash the prawns, peel and de-vein leaving the tail on. Pound them gently to straighten. ( Pounding them also prevents the prawns from curling when being cooked)
2. Prepare the marinade : Pound the coriander roots, garlic and white pepper in a mortar until fine. Combine the pounded ingredients with soya sauce, oyster sauce and sugar in a bowl. Add the prawns and marinate for at least 30 minutes in the fridge.
Note : do not over marinate this. Trust me. It won’t taste good. 30-40 minutes in the fridge is all it takes.
Next blanch the egg noodles in boiling water for 3 minutes or until done. Drain and wash under cold water. Cut the noodles into 30 centimeters lengths. Set aside.
3. Perforate the wanton sheets with 4 to 5 holes before wrapping each prawns with it. ( this prevents the sheets from ballooning while being fried ) Then band with a piece of egg noodle. Seal with flour paste.
4. Fry the wrapped prawns in oil in a saucepan over medium heat until golden brown and crispy. Use paper towels to remove excess oil. Serve this appetizers with either mayonaise or sweet chili ketchup.
- If you can find a finer/thinner egg noodles than the ones I’m using the better.
- Either use 2 pieces spring rolls sheets or 1 pc wonton sheet per prawn. If using spring roll sheets, you need to cut them into 10×10 cm before using.
BON APPETITO !